Steps used in planning effective business messages are:
- Identifying the purpose
- Visualize and analyse the audience
- Choosing ideas
- Collecting data
- Organize the message in an ordinary manner
Direct approach in a letter is adopted when a message deals with good news. The reader will be glad to receive it. Any indirect method of breaking good news may spoil the beauty of the news.
Good News Plan is used in these type of letters
- Answering ‘yes’ to inquiries
- Granting requests for adjustments
- Approving credit
- Job acceptance letters
- Goodwill message, appreciation, congratulations and condolence letters.
Indirect Approach/Inductive Approach is used to convey bad news. It is not proper to convey it in a direct manner. It must be conveyed intelligently and in a tactful manner.
A progressive organization replies to a reasonable request in a polite, helpful and friendly manner.
Buffer statement is a neutralize statement. It is used to shed off evil effects of bad news. Its purpose is to prepare the reader to accept the bad news.
Persuasive plan in a letter is used to make a special appeal or request for the sale of a new product. This technique of writing a letter is used in sales letters.
Elements of persuasive plan are:
Good Beginning in a business letter draws the attention of a reader. He holds a favourable opinion about the writer. He reads the letter with interest and spirit. It is written in soft, kind and friendly manner.
Effective ending (closing) convinces a reader about the sincerity and truthfulness of a writer. The last words must stimulate him to act as has been desired by him.
Preparation of the draft of a message
These points should be kept in mind:
- The clear idea or information.
- The idea should be poured on paper without correcting contents.
- The contents of the letter should be revised and polished. Errors of spellings, grammar and punctuation must be corrected.
Types of letters included indirect approach are:
- Letters promoting goodwill
- Order letters
- Inquiry letters
- Credit requests
- Claim adjustment requests
The most important thing in every good news is the compliance of a reader’s request is more important than willing an expression of pleasure, apology or gratitude.
Good News Letters
The letters which intend to inform a reader about good news are called good newsletters.
The organizational plan for writing a good news message is
- Telling good news in beginning of the letters
- End of a friendly close
Occasion when letter of congratulations are written
- On promotion
- New appointment
- The award of honour
- Establishment of a new business
- Success in the examination
- On the marriage or on a birthday
Difference between good news message and bad news message is
Good news message conveys the pleasant news to the other business party while a bad news message conveys bad news.
Technical terms used in business letters
- Job Description: The tasks performed on a job.
- Job specification: The qualities required of the worker on a job.
- Method: The way in which a task is done.
- Process: A series of activities composing the method.
- System: A combination of parts forming a whole.
- Copy: Imitative reproduction of a original.
- Facsimile: An exact copy as is obtained by photography.
- Waybill: A document listing the items included in a shipment and showing the routine.
- Bill of Lading: List of goods, shipped with the carrier’s signature acknowledging their receipt.
- Debtor: One who owes things.
- Creditor: One to whom something is owed.
- Invoice: A detailed notice of merchandise shipped, showing quantity, description of items, price and charges annexed.
- Bill: Notice of charges for services.
- Statement of Account: An abstract showing dates and amounts unpaid invoices or bills.